Radiation Oncology Center
The Department of Radiation Oncology provides therapies that include 3-D conformal radiation, low dose rate and high dose rate brachytherapy, hyperthermia, Intensity Modulated Radiation Therapy (IMRT), Image-Guided Radiation Therapy (IGRT )and Gamma Knife radiosurgery.
The Radiation Oncology Center performs nearly 26,000 cancer treatment procedures per year using state-of-the-art equipment, and serves as the chief pediatric radiation oncology referral center for Ann & Robert H Lurie Children's Hosptial of Chicago.
Treatments and Procedures:
- 3-Dimensional Conformal Radiation Therapy
- External Beam Radiation Therapy
- High Dose Rate (HDR) brachytherapy
- Image-Guided Radiation Therapy
- Low Dose Rate (LDR) brachytherapy
- Partial breast irradiation
- Pediatric Radiation Therapy
- Prostate Seed Implants
- Stereotactic Radiosurgery
- Total Body Irradiation
Care Provided For:
- Brain tumors and arteriovenous malformations
- Cancers of the head and neck, lymphomas, and lung and breast cancers
- Gynecological and genitourinary malignancies using either external beam irradiation or intracavitary implant
- Other tumors using Intensity Modulated Radiation Therapy (IMRT)
Radiosurgery (Gamma Knife)
Northwestern Memorial is one of a few institutions in the United States and the only academic medical center in Illinois offering Gamma Knife radiosurgery, a revolutionary non-invasive treatment for patients with brain tumors and many other diseases of the brain. Northwestern Memorial neurosurgeons, radiation oncologists, radiation physicists and registered nurses work together to provide treatment for both adult and pediatric patients.
Conditions Treated Include:
- Brain tumors - Acoustic neuroma/schwannoma
- Functional disorders - Trigeminal neuralgia
- Vascular disorders - AVM
- Glial Tumors/primary brain tumors
- Metastatic brain tumors
- Pituitary tumors
- Skull-based tumors
Contact Information, Hours and LocationsPhone: 312-926-2520
Office Hours:Monday through Friday: 7 am to 5:30 pm
Closed Saturday and Sunday
The addition of the new Women's Cancer Program means that women with gynecologic and breast cancers can be treated at Prentice Women's Hospital. Patients with other cancer types are treated in Galter Pavilion.
201 E. Huron St., Lower Concourse
|and||Prentice Women's Hospital
250 E. Superior Street, Basement
The addition of the new Women's Cancer Program in Prentice Women's Hospital allows the Lurie Cancer Center to take a comprehensive approach to meeting the unique medical, emotional, genetic and cosmetic needs of women with gynecologic and breast cancers.