2nd Annual Lurie Cancer Center OncoSET Symposium at Northwestern Medicine
Doctors from the Lurie Cancer Center and across Northwestern Medicine joined keynote speaker Matthew J. Ellis at the 2nd Annual OncoSET Symposium. (From left: Massimo Cristofanilli, Leonidas Platanias, Evi Lianidou, Dean Tsarwhas, Carmen Williams and Dana Clark)
On Friday, May 18, 2018, the Robert H. Lurie Comprehensive Cancer Center of Northwestern University hosted its 2nd Annual OncoSET Symposium: Practical Applications of Precision Medicine. The symposium provided healthcare professionals with state-of-the-art information to develop strategies for translating advances in precision medicine to their clinical practice.
More than 200 participants and expert faculty from across the country were welcomed by Conference Chairs, Leonidas Platanias, MD, PhD, Director of the Lurie Cancer Center, and Massimo Cristofanilli, MD, Associate Director for Translational Research, who elaborated on the OncoSET model for precision medicine in oncology. The program focused on emerging technologies used to generate large-scale genomic data and the steps to filter, evaluate and apply this knowledge to determine the most effective course of treatment for each patient.
Matthew J. Ellis, MB, BChir, BSc., PhD, FRCP, Associate Director of Precision Medicine, Dan L. Duncan Comprehensive Cancer Center, Baylor College of Medicine, gave the keynote speech, "The Landscape of Genomic Alterations in Primary and Metastatic Breast Cancer: Lesson from Precision Medicine.”
Presentations addressed new approaches to personalized cancer therapy based on current research and patient-specific genetic patterns and examined technological advances, such as artificial intelligence, challenges in genomic sequencing and molecular analysis, and germline genotype and pharmacogenetics.
The OncoSET Symposium’s moderators and presenters included:
- Michael J. Becich, MD, PhD – University of Pittsburgh
- Amir Behdad, MD – Lurie Cancer Center / Northwestern Medicine
- Dana Clark, MS, LCGC, University of Pennsylvania
- Massimo Cristofanilli, MD – Lurie Cancer Center / Northwestern Medicine
- William Gradishar, MD – Lurie Cancer Center / Northwestern Medicine
- Dave Hoon, M.Sc., PhD – John Wayne Cancer Institute
- Craig Horbinski, MD, PhD – Lurie Cancer Center / Northwestern Medicine
- Evi Lianidou, PhD – University of Athens
- Elizabeth McNally, MD, PhD – Northwestern Medicine
- Leonidas Platanias, MD, PhD – Lurie Cancer Center / Northwestern Medicine
- Steven Powell, MD – Sanford Cancer Center
- Dean Tsarwhas, MD – Lurie Cancer Center / Northwestern Medicine
- Michael Walsh, MD - Memorial Sloan Kettering
- Firas Wehbe, MD, PhD - Lurie Cancer Center / Northwestern Medicine
- Carmen Williams, MS, CGC - Lurie Cancer Center / Northwestern Medicine
- Bin Zhang, MD, PhD – Lurie Cancer Center / Northwestern Medicine
Learn more about the Lurie Cancer Center OncoSET program.
Back to top