30 Years of Celebrating Survivors
Thank you for celebrating with us! On Sunday, June 4, more than 2,600 cancer survivors and supporters joined us in Grant Park to connect as a community, celebrate milestones, and make an impact on the future of cancer care at our 30th Annual Cancer Survivors’ Celebration Walk & 5K!
“There are more than 18 million people living with a history of cancer in the United States,” said Leonidas Platanias, MD, PhD, director of the Lurie Cancer Center, as he welcomed participants on National Cancer Survivors Day. “Thanks to the physicians and scientists taking bold steps to transform the future for people with cancer, that number is expected to grow.”
Sunshine and blue skies set the stage for a picture-perfect morning to walk and run together along Chicago’s lakefront. Highlights included music and entertainment, inspiring speakers, activities for the family, a picnic, and a Dedication Wall filled with messages of love and support.
Through the generosity and commitment of our fundraising teams, donors, and sponsors, the 2023 Cancer Survivors’ Celebration Walk & 5K raised more than $350,000! You can still donate online through August 31 to help Lurie Cancer Center’s physicians and scientists at Northwestern Medicine translate discoveries into new treatments and better outcomes for our patients. Together we can offer more hope to more people.
Thank You for Making a Difference!
On behalf of our patients and families at Lurie Cancer Center and Northwestern Medicine, thank you for leading the charge to improve cancer prevention, treatment and survivorship care.
Top Individual Fundraisers:
- Sara Breyfogle
- Kamala Rajan
- Christine Sullivan
- Mark Dybas
- David Holmes
- Rita Krejci
- Matthew Hejna
- Cobi Illian
- Meera & Nisha
- Michael Hlavin
Thank You to Our Generous Sponsors!
- All of Us Research Program at Northwestern Medicine
- Blueprint Medicines
- Bristol Myers Squibb
- Caris Life Sciences
- Chicago White Sox
- Cimaglio Family
- Equity Residential Foundation
- Scott and Sara Fisher Family
- Gilead Sciences, Inc
- Matt’s Cookies
- Dr. Bharat Mittal
- Mudd Law
- New Faith Baptist Church International
- Northwestern Memorial Hospital Medical Staff
- Seagen Inc.
- Servier Pharmaceuticals
- Studio Beverly
- Whole Foods Market
It Takes Teamwork
We are grateful to all the people whose contributions made the 30th Annual Cancer Survivors’ Celebration Walk & 5K possible, including:
- Our Amazing Volunteers & Staff – we couldn’t do it without you!
- Erika Aleman, Valerie Jonkoff and Marc Silverman for sharing their experiences
- Lakeshore Athletic Services
- Lou Loiben, Personalities, Inc. / Emcee extraordinaire
- Abel Arciniega, Tequila Graphics / Photographer
- Be the Match / Connecting patients with life-saving bone marrow donors
- Northwestern’s Department of Dermatology / Skin cancer screening
- The Studio Beverly / Warm up
- The legendary Jesse White Tumblers
- Willie the Wildcat / Northwestern University
- Squeeze / Chicago Dogs
- All the 2023 Faces of Cancer honorees