Lurie Cancer Center Tobacco Cessation Program
A Comprehensive Tobacco Treatment Program for Lurie Cancer Center Patients: Integrated Within Your Cancer Care
Quitting smoking is one of the most important things you can do to improve your health – and your body’s ability to respond to cancer treatment. Quitting also reduces the chances of your cancer returning or developing a new cancer.
Thinking About Quitting? We Can Help
Designed to help our patients with cancer quit or reduce smoking, Lurie Cancer Center’s new Tobacco Cessation Program integrates state-of-the-art evidence-based treatment services into your comprehensive cancer care.
- Drawing on the National Comprehensive Cancer Network (NCCN) Practice Guidelines for Smoking Cessation, we offer personalized, evidence-based tools and strategies to help you become – and stay – smoke free.
- You do not have to be ready to quit completely to benefit from our program. By simply learning about the process or cutting back, you can play an active role in your cancer care and take steps toward achieving your optimal health.
Our services can be scheduled to coordinate with your appointments for cancer treatment, and are available to Lurie Cancer Center patients free of charge, including:
- In-person counseling and behavioral therapy with our tobacco treatment specialists
- Telephone counseling
- Medications to help you quit smoking (often covered by insurance)
- Smartphone Apps and other phone-based resources
Meet our Tobacco Treatment Team
Our multidisciplinary team of healthcare professionals are experts in helping people with cancer stop smoking, safely and comfortably. Nicotine is an addictive substance. We understand the challenges of quitting while coping with a serious illness, and the importance of access to individualized medical support and guidance to help you succeed.
Brian Hitsman, PhD, Program Director
Timothy Pearman, PhD, Program Director
Sarah Clark, BA, TTS, Tobacco Treatment Specialist
Evidence-Based Strategies for Success
How can we help cancer patients quit smoking? Lurie Cancer Center was awarded a grant through the National Cancer Institute’s Cancer Center Cessation Initiative, part of the Cancer Moonshot program, to create a smoking cessation program that is complementary to your cancer care.
Watch this video to learn more about the long-term goal of this initiative to help NCI-designated cancer centers routinely address tobacco cessation with cancer patients
Let’s Work Together
Ask your cancer care team about making an appointment with the Lurie Cancer Center Tobacco Cessation Program. To schedule a consultation with one of our tobacco treatment specialists or for more information, please email us at LurieTobaccoCessation@nm.org.