Metabolomics Developing Core Facility
The mission of Metabolomics Core Facility (MCF) at Robert H. Lurie Comprehensive Cancer Center of Northwestern University is to provide: 1. LCMS based metabolomics service including identification, semi-quantification and quantification of metabolites from biological samples including but not limited to cells, bio-fluids and tissues; 2. integrative genomics service related to metabolism. MCF supports investigators engaged in basic, preclinical and clinical cancer research, including scientists examining basic mechanisms in of disease, as well as those seeking to identify novel targets for therapy or biomarkers that can be used for early detection, diagnosis, prognosis or response to therapy.
Navdeep Chandel, PhD
Professor of Medicine
(Pulmonary and Critical Care) and Cellular Biology
Director - Metabolomics
Peng Gao, PhD
Research Assistant Professor of Medicine (Pulmonary and Critical Care)”
Director - Integrative Genomics
Hiam Abdala-Valencia, PhD
Associate Professor of Medicine (Pulmonary and Critical Care)
Back to top
Services and FAQs
Core Introduction & Metabolomics 101
- Profiling - Comprehensive Hydrophilic Metabolites Panel (CHMP) - LCMS Run
Use LCMS to acquire signals from a broad spectrum of water soluble metabolites (250 plus targets including but not limited to amino acids, nucleotides and nucleobase/nucleosides, cofactors, Krebs cycle, TCA cycle, urea cycle, glycolysis, gluconeogenesis, pentose phosphate pathway, etc. See Target list for details). Semi-quantitative (comparison between samples) 30-40 minute run with raw data available. Fee/injection.
- Profiling - Targeted Metabolites (PTM) - LCMS Run
Use LCMS to acquire signals for specific targets-of-your-interest (hydrophilic metabolites or lipids). Semi-quantitative (comparison between samples) 25-35 minute run with raw data available. Fee/injection.
- Profiling - Fluxomics (FLUX) - LCMS Run
Use LCMS to acquire signals from specific stable isotopes labeled metabolites generated through incubation of tracers, such as 13C, 15N, 2H to study metabolic flux in specific pathways. Semi-quantitative (comparison between samples) 25-35 minute LCMS run with raw data available. Fee/injection.
- Quantification – Targeted Metabolites (QTM) - LCMS Run
Use LCMS to quantify targets-of-your-interest (hydrophilic metabolites or lipids) from sample extractions. Internal standards and standard compounds for targets are required. Fee/injection.
- Sample Preparation
Process samples for LCMS injection. Fee/hour.
- Data analysis
For profiling services, targets will be annotated, and peak areas (artificial unit) will be reported for semi-quantification (comparison between samples). For quantification services, amount or concentration will be reported. Fee/hour.
- Method Development
Develop new assay per customer request.
Sample Submission Process
- Starting Materials - It is important to keep the amount of starting material (cell number, equivalent protein amount, bio-liquid volume and tissue weight, etc.) as same as possible across the batch. Starting material amount is required during submission to calculate injection amount.
- Standard Compounds - For quantification services, internal standards and standard compounds for targets are required. For profiling services, standard compounds are recommend if certain metabolites are the targets-of-interest.
- Turnaround Time - Under normal circumstances, 10 business days are typical for medium-low complexity projects. Projects that are more complex take longer.
- Sample/Data Storage - Leftover samples (if any) will be kept in -20°C freezer for 3 months, and the raw data will be kept for up to 12 months.
- Approved price list (please contact core)
- UHPLC-MS (Hybrid Quadrupole-Orbitrap): Thermo Ultimate-3000 + Q-exactive
- UHPLC-MS (Triple Quadrupole): Thermo Vanquish + TSQ
Work performed in Metabolomics Core Facility should be acknowledged as following:
Metabolomics services were performed by the Metabolomics Core Facility at Robert H. Lurie Comprehensive Cancer Center of Northwestern University.