Metabolomics Developing Core Facility
The mission of the developing Metabolomics Core Facility at Robert H. Lurie Comprehensive Cancer Center of Northwestern University is to provide LC-MS based metabolomics service including identification, semi-quantification and quantification of primary and secondary metabolites from biological samples such as cultured cells, tissues and body fluids. The Metabolomics Core supports investigators engaged in basic, preclinical and clinical cancer research, including scientists examining basic mechanisms in of disease, as well as those seeking to identify novel targets for therapy or biomarkers that can be used for early detection, diagnosis, prognosis or response to therapy.
Navdeep Chandel, PhD
Professor of Medicine
(Pulmonary and Critical Care) and Cellular Biology
McGaw Pavilion Suite M-300
240 E Huron
Chicago, IL, 60611
Peng Gao, PhD
Research Assistant Professor of Medicine (Hematology and Oncology)
Olson Pavilion 8-310
710 N Fairbanks Ct
Chicago, IL 60611
710 N. Fairbanks Court
Chicago, IL 60611
Back to top
Services & Equipment
- Metabolites Profiling - Comprehensive Hydrophilic Panel - Sample Run
Use LCMS to analyze sample extractions for a broad spectrum of water soluble metabolites (measure 150 plus common metabolites including amino acids, nucleotides and nucleobase/nucleosides species, TCA cycle, glycolysis, pyridine and cofactor metabolites, TCA cycle metabolites, 2-HG, a-KG, pentose phosphate pathway, etc.), 30-40 minute LC-MS/MS run, raw data will be provided. Charged by per injection.
- Metablites Profiling - Targeted Species - Sample Run
Use LCMS to analyze sample extractions for special water solubale metabolites on a particular pathway, 30-40 minute LC-MS/MS run, raw data will be provided. Charged by per injection.
- Metablites Profiling – Fluxomics - Sample Run
Use stable isotopes, such as 13C, 15N, 2H to study metabolic flux in different pathways simultaneously, 40 minute LC-MS/MS run, raw data will be provided. Charged by per injection.
- Metabolites Quantification - Sample Run
Use LCMS to quantify metabolites targets from sample extractions, 30-40 minute LC-MS/MS run, raw data will be provided. Charged by per injection.
- Method Development
Develop new assay per customer request. Charged by time (per hour).
- Sample Preparation
Process samples for LCMS injection. Charged by time (per hour).
- Data analysis
Use sofeware to analyze LCMS data to acuire peak area of metabolites, then generate report. Charged by time (per hour).
Add-on charge for consultation effort above and beyond what is included in services 1-7. Charged by time (per hour).
- UPLC-MS (high accuracy and high definition): Thermo Ultimate-3000 + Q-exactive
Sample Submission Process & More Information
- Please contact core to discuss project about targets, sample preparation and analysis.
- Once ready to submit samples, please go to https://nucore.northwestern.edu/facilities/Metabo, follow the instruction to generate a request.
- Fill out a Sample Submission Form with detail request and study proposal categorized above.
- Provide the Order Receipt (or the NUCORE Order Number) and the Sample Submission Form to the core staff when the samples are delivered to the Core. Please note that samples will NOT enter the queue unless a NUCORE Order Receipt / Order Number, Sample Submission Form and starting material amount (detailed in the following “More Information”) are all provided at the time of delivery.
- The amount of starting material is important for LCMS samples because of 1) keeping the instrument from contamination due to overloading, 2) minimizing the signal variation introduced by the changing amount of content inside each injection (the signal intensity of MS and targets amount does not always have a linear correlation).
- If protein amount (ug) is unavailable, cell number or accurate tissue mass may be also accepted for sample prep normalization.
- It is recommended for the customer to have standard compounds available if certain metabolites are the target-of-interest.
- Under normal circumstances, leftover samples (if there is any) will be kept in -20°C freezer for half a year, and the raw data will be kept for 2 years.
- Target list
- Approved price list (please contact core)
Work performed in Metabolomics Core Facility should be acknowledged as following:
Metabolomics services were performed by the Metabolomics Core Facility at Robert H. Lurie Comprehensive Cancer Center of Northwestern University.