Mouse Histology & Phenotyping Laboratory
The mission of the Northwestern University Mouse Histology & Phenotyping Laboratory is to assist primary investigators and scientists with standard and customized research-specific histology services. The laboratory provides comprehensive histology services for a wide variety of tissues (i.e., mouse, rat, sheep, pig, zebrafish) for routine histology and immunohistochemistry. Pathologist consultation can also be provided to help develop strategies to elucidate phenotypes and gain mechanistic insight regarding the biologic actions of the targeted molecule(s) or the toxicity of exogenously administered substances. In addition, the laboratory provides training opportunities for learning histology techniques and phenotyping analysis.
- Olson Pavilion, 8-333 & 8-335
710 N. Fairbanks Court
Chicago, IL 60611
Services & Equipment
- Immunohistochemistry: Using tyramide signal amplification and ABC methods (automated), with DAB chromogenic substrate
- Immunofluorescence: single and multiple staining
- TUNEL assay
- Freezing and embedding of tissues for histology
- Frozen sections
- Paraffin block processing and paraffin sections
- Hematoxylin and Eosin staining of sections
- Specialized histochemical staining of sections (e.g., Trichrome, PAS, Luxol fast blue, Cresyl violet)
- Dissection and tissue collection
- Histopathology (slide interpretation)
- Histopathology toxicity evaluation
- Training in dissection techniques, including perfusion of mice and special tissue dissection
- Assistance with development of animal pathology protocols
- Biocare IntilliPATH Automated Immunohistochemistry System
- Olympus BX41 Stereo Compound Microscope with Fluorescence Microscope (two-headed scope)
- Nikon SMZ-1500 Zoom Stereo Microscope System with Epi-Fluorescence Attachment
- Leica ASP300S Tissue Processor
- Sakura Tissue-Tek VIP Tissue Processor
- Leica EG1160 Embedding Center
- Leica AutoStainer XL Automated Stainer
- Microm HM 355S Fully Automated Motorized Rotary Microtome
- Microm HM 325 Rotary Microtome
- Leica CV5000 Automated Glass Coverslipper
- Leica CM1850UV Cryostat
Bmi1 marks distinct castration-resistant luminal progenitor cells competent for prostate regeneration and tumour initiation.
Yoo YA, Roh M, Naseem AF, Lysy B, Desouki MM, Unno K, Abdulkadir SA.
Nature communications. 2016; 7:12943.
Toll-like Receptor 9 Signaling Is Augmented in Systemic Sclerosis and Elicits Transforming Growth Factor β-Dependent Fibroblast Activation.
Fang F, Marangoni RG, Zhou X, Yang Y, Ye B, Shangguang A, Qin W, Wang W, Bhattacharyya S, Wei J, Tourtellotte WG, Varga J.
Arthritis & rheumatology (Hoboken, N.J.). 2016; 68(8):1989-2002.
The effect of vancomycin powder on bone healing in a rat spinal rhBMP-2 model.
Mendoza MC, Sonn KA, Kannan AS, Bellary SS, Mitchell SM, Singh G, Park C, Yun C, Stock SR, Hsu EL, Hsu WK.
Journal of neurosurgery. Spine. 2016; 25(2):147-53.
The cardiomyocyte protein αT-catenin contributes to asthma through regulating pulmonary vein inflammation.
Folmsbee SS, Budinger GR, Bryce PJ, Gottardi CJ.
The Journal of allergy and clinical immunology. 2016; 138(1):123-129.e2. NIHMSID: NIHMS754302
Effect of recombinant human bone morphogenetic protein-2 on a novel lung cancer spine metastasis model in rodents.
Sonn KA, Kannan AS, Bellary SS, Yun C, Hashmi SZ, Nelson JT, Ghodasra JH, Nickoli MS, Parimi V, Ghosh A, Shawen N, Ashtekar A, Stock SR, Hsu EL, Hsu WK.
Journal of orthopaedic research : official publication of the Orthopaedic Research Society. 2016; 34(7):1274-81.
Format for the acknowledgment
Histology services were provided by the Northwestern University Research Histology and Phenotyping Laboratory, which is supported by NCI P30-CA060553 awarded to the Robert H. Lurie Comprehensive Cancer Center.
Why acknowledge us
Proper acknowledgment provides a visible measure of the impact of the RHPL. It is important for us to obtain financial and other support so that we may continue to provide our essential services in the best ways possible.
When to acknowledge
- Anytime the RHPL provides services that support your research
- If a staff member has made a significant intellectual contribution beyond routine sample analysis, please consider an authorship; this is essential for the professional development of our staff
Where to acknowledge
- Scholarly reports